Okay, so the title is a little melodramatic, I’ll admit. Bolstered the success of my circular knickers, I was ready for a second project, so I took a look at the small collection of patterns I’d optimistically accumulated over the course of the past ten years. Well, between changing personal taste and changing fashions, not many of them had stood the test of time. Ultimately, I settled on the lone diamond in the rough, view B of the Anna Sui Vogue pattern V2850.
With that floaty image in mind, I took a trip to Gail K. Fabrics, which is easily the best place to buy fabric in Atlanta, where I’m biding my time before my big move up to the Greater Tor-Buff-Chester Superregion. (Yes, that’s apparently what some people call upstate New York.) There is no particular rhyme or reason to how the fabrics are organized in Gail K. other than sparkles in the front, spandex in the back, but the silk bin caught my eye, and I fell hard for this silk chiffon:
Chiffon, as you may know from experience, is a sort of cruel mistress. It took me a little while to get used to the weird ways it contorts right when you don’t want it to, and how easily the ends fray. Once I got used to the way the chiffon wanted to move, I actually quite liked sewing up this fabric. I decided to use pinking shears on all my edges, as I was afraid that the double stitch the pattern called for wouldn’t be enough to keep the seams from slowly fraying in the long run. If I make this pattern again in the future, I think I’ll use French seams to give the inside of the garment a cleaner look; as it is now, there is a definite homemade air about the blouse if you examine it closely. I would also definitely lengthen the waist next time; I’m not particularly long waisted, but the blouse is a bit short for my taste and makes me question exactly whom this pattern was drafted for. (What is this, a pattern for ants?)
The pattern was fairly straightforward. Pretty much everything besides basic hemming and seaming was new to me, so this project definitely kept me on my toes. I’ll be quite honest: I did my fair share of seam ripping. For the worst of those sessions (ripping out tiny stitches along the entirety of the neck ruffle), I resorted to softening the blow with a little Agatha Christie’s Poirot on Netflix and a strong cup of coffee, as seen on my Instagram.
So, after many redos in various places, I got the blouse done. Overall, I’m quite pleased that I pulled this off and ended up with a beautiful new piece of clothing just in time for the warm weather. Here it is in its full glory:
So I’m chalking this up as another success–little to no chagrin was actually involved, believe it or not. Next time: in which I eat my hat and make a sensible apron that is suitable for beginners.